Friday, March 25, 2016

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Okay. The Fault in Our Stars. I only read this book because my friends really liked it, but I didn't have a lot of high hopes when I dove in. Generally, these kind of tear-jerker, real-life drama novels don't appeal to me. But I read it anyway, just to see what all the hype was about.

I'm a fast reader, so I read it in a day and a half, but it wasn't worth it, at least to me. I also skipped a couple parts I will explain later, due to sexuality.

The blurb: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. 

John Green is a great author, especially as a man writing in the point of view of a teenage girl. This book was very believable. It's very real. Because of this, there's language, and there's sexuality. The language isn't anything bigger than "b-s" but it's quite frequent.

The sexuality is pretty intense. Lots of inappropriate words are said, some kissing, and they do sleep together, although the scene is described only briefly. It is a love story, so of course their relationship is going to be prominent and detailed throughout the book.

I personally didn't enjoy this book just because I'm not into this genre. I like action and suspense. I like to cry during a good book but I don't like a book that's all about crying. It's a tear-jerker, and there's not a happy ending.

The Fault in our Stars is a very mature novel, and gives insight into what it's like to know you're dying. Hazel chooses to love and be loved even though she knows it will cause her so much pain. Cancer sucks and this book portrays that so well. I love how this book is unique in the fact that the main characters actually ponder what happens after death. It's scary to know that you're dying, yet have no idea what will happen after death. I think this would be a good book to read as a family, with some parts edited, because it really does talk about what some people actually have to go through in their life, and explains the fears, depression, pain, and melancholy happiness that a person with terminal cancer has.

I have just started a new book, The 5th Wave, another dystopian novel of course. I saw previews for the upcoming movie and was really interested. The plot looks really complex and fun. One day I saw my best friend with the book and I was so excited - I had no idea it was a book, and since books are almost always better than their movies, I am so excited to see if that is true for this novel. I will write a review on it as soon as I'm finished!!

No comments:

Post a Comment